Saturday, December 17, 2011

Changing Movie watching experience

I was just going from Mumbai to Pune on some weekend, sitting by the window seat in a AC Volvo bus, I was feeling comfortable thinking how I will spend next 4 hours.
Wishing that next seat should be occupied a sexy girl and we strike conversations on love, romance and end up meeting every week, my dream was shattered when a cool looking hunk sat next to me with iPod in his ear and then he started opening his bag and took out a small media player double the size of our mobile phone.
Looking at his richness, I alarmed myself not to get into any inferiority complex as I had always believed that girls really like simple, genuine guys (like me!!) than hunks for the long term.
Working on self laid philosophy, I was about to enter my dreamy world and then I witnessed that guy sitting next to me was watching a Hollywood movie on his gadget.
Then I did what I do very rarely, I started thinking:
In 80’s we had B/W TV with two gates on its screen giving it a royal opening, After power button was pressed, This TV demanded lot of attention being the only source of entertainment, so acting pricey, B/W TV use to take lot of time to fill the area on the screen with voice cords followed later.
DD-1 being the only one performing at that time, there were limited programs like Chitrahar, Rangoli and the best part “Hindi feature films without commercials
Remote hadn’t taken birth by then, so manual tuning was only done to get the clarity in picture, and if not satisfied, then we used to go to top to change the position of antenna with changing its directions like giving signals on the border that we will not leave the war!
Then the era changed, with the salaries increasing, there came introduction of “Color TVs”, rest antenna at home roof being constantly guiding!
The homes which didn’t had color tvs were being looked at with pity as with the assumption that they can’t afford the New animal “Color TV”
Rangoli, Chitrahar became more popular, people were able to recognize their fav actors clothes, they started relating to them , People started following actors, their dressing sense, styling.
Then came the era of cable TV, now this monster had changed lives of many, more options, more channels, people were able to see many programs, movies basis their preference.
With more programs, People started expressing their emotional side via characters in the programs, emotions like love, and romance found elaborations in young hearts.
Being living in conservative society, still youngsters were not able to view the programs (read adult programs) as there used be one TV and that too be watched with the family.
That led to invention of VCR, a era of private viewing, so people could watch movies of their choice, mainly VCR was available on rent model, (Many choose to buy that device so as they could see all the love making scences and tell the world that they are the ones who need most love by opposite sex.)
VCRs got replaced by CDs, More compact, handy CD players helped movie watching experience to a great level.
Single screen cinemas used to co exist struggling to find their place as people used to watch movies at home saving lot of money by not going to theater.  (here I am not talking about young couples, married and unmarried, who used to book boxes in these cinema halls and watching movie was not at all given importance in hall but something else!)
With the more no of movies releasing per year, there was need to make multi screen cinemas to give people choice of movies and convenience of choosing the subject.( like I always like romantic flicks and other people liked action, comedy, horror etc and I had no problems with that!!)

Back home Color TV was feeling all alone, then in anger he decided to change himself, he was new rajnikant who will kill all the boredom from people’s life, he started praying, lord shiva got happy and converted him into LCDs, LEDs.
He had now great picture clarity, sound, he was status symbol, he broke the barriers on getting himself confined to a cabinet, he now clings to the wall like Jesus, the god.
With TV being inventing himself, multi screen cinema halls, personal viewing need is increasing now, ipads, ipods and don’t know many more will come to fulfill this need. (thanks to Maslow, hadn’t he told us about our need structure, we would have been happy in closed room only)
Laptops, desktops are more used for viewing movies than computing work.
Aundh, Aundh,the conductor shouted, the bus had reached pune.
I was wondering where I will watch my next movie, PVR, laptop or DVD??
And yes, one day, seat next to me there will be sexy girl!

Rest in my next blog,
Vikas sachdeva












No comments: